A New Cutting-Edge Approach that Can Be Self-Led
Internal Family Systems (IFS℠) is a new cutting-edge form of individual therapy developed by Richard Schwartz, PhD, that provides a step-by-step approach to creating inner wholeness
- Get to know your various parts (subpersonalities)
- Target the specific psychological issues you want resolved
- Know your inner Self as the agent of transformation
- Access your hidden vulnerable parts for deep emotional healing
- Transform stuck parts of yourself into inner resources of strength, love, and freedom
We are trained and experienced IFS therapists who offer books, audio products, supervision, and courses based on IFS. If you are looking for the official IFS website, click Center for Self-Leadership.
Jay Earley, PhD
Not sure which of our services
would be best for you?
Call us for an informal chat.
Bonnie Weiss, LCSW
Elizabeth Russell, Florida
Doug Huneke, California
What is IFS?
IFS is a new form of psychotherapy that has been spreading rapidly across the country in the past decade. It is compassionate, inclusive, spiritual, powerfully healing, and deeply respectful of our inner life. Despite the name, it is primarily a form of individual therapy.
IFS recognizes that our psyches are made up of different parts, sometimes called subpersonalities. You can think of them as little people inside us. Each part has its own perspective, feelings, memories, goals, and motivations. For example one part of you might be trying to lose weight and another part might want to eat whatever you want. We all have parts like the inner critic, the abandoned child, the pleaser, the angry part, and the loving caretaker.
IFS also recognizes that we each have a spiritual center, the Self, which is compassionate, understanding, and grounded. Through IFS you can learn to stay in Self, develop a relationship with each of your parts, and heal them. This is quite empowering because the healing comes from you.
Transforming Your Inner Critic
The Inner Critic is the part of you that judges you, demeans you, and pushes you to do things. It tends to make you feel bad about yourself. Since this is one of the most difficult and tenacious issues that people face, we have been seriously studying the Inner Critic. We have developed a questionnaire to help you determine which types of Inner Critic parts are a problem for you. IFS is a powerful method for transforming your Inner Critic, and we have worked out the details of exactly how to achieve this.
The Pattern System
- Learn about the common parts that most of us have, what they are trying to do, where they come from, and how they relate to other parts in you and other people.
- Uncover your patterns of relating, feeling, and action, and how to transform them.
- Discover your inner wisdom and hidden strengths and how to access them.